Rebel Forces in Ethiopia’s Tigray Launch New Offensive | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

Rebel Forces in Ethiopia’s Tigray Launch New Offensive

Tigrayan forces claimed Tuesday to have launched a new offensive in the conflict-torn northern region of Ethiopia, two weeks after the federal government declared a unilateral ceasefire in the face of rebel advances.

A spokesman for the Tigrayan forces told AFP they had seized Alamata, the main town in southern Tigray, after launching the offensive on Monday.

Getachew Reda said fighting was also taking place in western Tigray.

The claims could not be independently confirmed because communications were largely down in the area, while an Ethiopian military spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The Tigray Defense Forces last month swept across large parts of Tigray and seized the regional capital Mekele after eight months of brutal conflict with federal troops.

Tags:

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA